Journal

This week, our group split into two groups: those that are working on the same dataset, and the other that is organizing a new dataset. I am in the first group and I finally decided that I would be investigating graph clustering with missing data. The other group is building a smaller dataset of fruits. There are two categories: strawberries, and wedge strawberries. Fifteen pictures from each category are included in the small dataset. Below is a picture of each.

In regards to my contribution, given a graph with partial observations, I still want to identify the underlying clusters. This leads me to the problem of clustering graphs with missing data. For the next few weeks, I will consider the problem of identifying clusters when the input is a partially observed adjacency matrix of an unweighted graph. Two convex algorithms will be my aim but are not completely promised. A video about this topic is below:

For the other group, I do not know the specifics but I understand where data can be seen for me which is on AirTable. I have used AirTable before and it formats data in a readable structure. The data can either be downloaded the data as a CSV file or requested as a JSON. The table has 150 records from 5 workers. In the future, I hope to help them out after I am satisfied with my part. A video explaining Airtable is below: 

In unrelated news, I recently found myself super intrigued by this relatively new material called "aerogel". It is a synthetically-produced gel with its liquid aspect replaced with gas. The result is a transparent, porous solid with an extremely low density and low thermal conductivity. The properties do not stop there as they can also absorb a lot due to their structure and waterproof items. I believe it will have a lot of potential in the near future. Nasa's spacesuits can cost up to $500 million dollars from scratch and much of the complexity/cost is derived from trying to disperse heat from the internals. With aerogel, suits might be at a lower cost, lower weight, and lower complexity. Below is am image on aerogel: 
8. The wonder material “AEROGEL” | Download Scientific Diagram

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Journal - 2/3-18/20

Crowd-source Image Labeling [Technical Journal]

First Month